The Chicago Tribune is reporting that two consumers were hospitalized after eating pufferfish that was mislabelled as monkfish. The fish was imported from China.
Pufferfish is also known as fugu. Chefs who prepare fugu go through years of training to ensure they are able to safely prepare the fish. If the fish is improperly prepared, tetrodotoxin (a potent neurotoxin) from the internal organs can be ingested, causing paralysis and death. (This is the same fish that Homer ate in the episode “One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish“.)
Anyway, the victims both purchased the mislabelled fish to make soup, thinking they were getting harmless monkfish. For their part, China is working to improve their food safety standards. Do you know what you’re eating?